Clear your clutter before your ’round the world trip!
Clearing out your apartment or home can always be a huge task when leaving abroad for a lengthy period. If you are like me and have a hard time throwing stuff out, here are a few ideas to get you going!
- Check to see if you can sublet your apartment while you are gone. This way, you won’t have to clear anything out, and will have a home when you get back. Double check your rental agreement to make sure you can, and be sure you are comfortable subletting for that long.
- Source out all your friends and family to see if they can store a box or two while you are away. If not, storage will do!
- Of course, there is Craigslist to sell a bunch of your old stuff. I suggest starting up a free blog to post everything that you want to sell, posting the link to the bottom of your add so they can see what else you are selling! Make sure to measure all items being sold, and that your photos are crisp, clear and make the items seem appealing. Photos are everything when selling on the internet!
- Look up Freecycle – A lot of cities have a Freecycle forum, where you can post items you want to give away for free. Just throw it on the curb, and someone is usually willing to pick it up.
- Sell your old clothes to consignment shops around town. I like to use Beacon’s Closet.
- Hold a girl party to give away your make-up and clothing you no longer need.
- Donate items to charitable locations such as Housing Works and the Salvation Army.
- Have plants? Donate them to your local garden.
- Give old magazines and books to your local library, or try selling them to places like Book Off
- Have a ton of documents that you can’t throw away? Scan them all so that you can store them electronically.