7 years in Japan
I am looking forward to visiting Japan again. It has been 4 years since I have lived there. Things I will never forget:
- Touching my bathroom, kitchen, and living room floor all at the same time (but hey, at least I lived walking distance to Shinjuku!)
- Living in a Police Box. (Look at my ‘About’ page for an actual image of my house).
- Getting fresh vegetables like goya and baked goods at my doorstep from friendly neighbors in Shirasawa, Japan
- Hearing the Yakimo man riding around my neighborhood (think the ice-cream man but with Sweet potatoes!)
- Eiga Dorobou – they showed this guy before every movie. Please don’t record movies with your cell phone.
- Growing a serious addiction to Domokun
- Being able to buy umeboshi riceballs, mentaiko riceballs, kombu riceballs, and takana riceballs everywhere (including 7-11!)
- Capsule Hotels that take women, and Love Hotels
- My taxi door opening automatically(although you will pay a pretty penny for a ride!)
- Losing your wallet on a crowded train and having it returned to you with everything in it including your cash.
- Getting free tissue on the street!
- Women only train cars
- Carrying a mikoshi in a local festival
- Oh how could I ever forget Hanami! Cherry blossom flower viewing in the park with drinks, food, and friends under full bloom
- Cycling all over Tokyo
- Using a squat toilet
- People crossing the street only when the crosswalk tells you to do so.
- rice planting
- Japanese commercials